17 September 2021
Blockchain technology was introduced with Bitcoin - the first cryptocurrency and even today many believe that blockchain = cryptocurrency. Blockchain is a technology that is used as an application for cryptocurrency to function, similarly, blockchain can be used in various other industries too, such as, Healthcare sector, Banking, Tourism, Law enforcement, and so forth.
In this blog, we are going to discuss 10 roles of blockchain in the education system:
Blockchain technology is a decentralized distributed ledger. It is a secure platform, needs consensus, eliminates intermediaries, immutable, smart contracts, and so forth. The elements of blockchain can be a beneficial approach to the education system. For instance, every node has the exact copy in the network, which is constantly verified along with the old transactions while adding the new block in the blockchain. It helps sustains the effects of compromises otherwise made by a centralized technology.
1. Maintaining a record of all the academic transcripts is time-consuming, consumes extensive work, and requires a manual job for every entry placed in the database. It also involves maintaining a complete record of the students from the beginning of the institution and has to be shared with the other institutions and universities, and when not maintained properly and correctly it can create a lot of hectic and chaos in the system. On the other hand, blockchain can help resolve this chore as all the data stored in the blockchain is verified, and the user will be able to view all the data ever added to the system.
2. Blockchain technology can also enable to add of the student’s academic record, certificates, and achievements in the system.
3. Blockchain can also be eco-friendly as usually when all the institution has to share the student’s record to other institutions or universities, it involves paperwork and paper copies. With blockchain, the data can be shared through the link.
Also Read, Application of Blockchain
4. With the help of blockchain, the student’s all the information and curricular can be added and verified in the system by the institution and related third parties such as their skills and otherwise achievements that are not directed by the institution itself.
5. Maintaining the storage for thousands of students (actually more than that) - students from many years for years can be tricky as it would require storage space on local hard drives or cloud storage which has the chances to be compromised or out of reach. While on the other hand, the blockchain-based solution can solve the storage space.
6. Every data added on the blockchain is verified and immutable, this enables the integrity of the information including that the data of the student will not be compromised.
7. Blockchain technology also consists of smart contracts that can enable an efficient way of functioning for the teachers to execute the courses with the conditions set by the teacher. For instance, through the smart contract, the teacher can program the tasks and conditions that are required to meet the course also leading to automated receiving credits after the completion of the task.
8. With the help of blockchain, teachers can also set questionnaires for exams in the system which will be automated when the student answers correctly, meeting the paraments and would be scored as programmed by the teacher.
9. Blockchain technology can resolve the historical battle of publishing papers. In the past, many scientific journals were rejected while they could have their chance to earn a Nobel Prize! With blockchain, the authors would be able to publish their research with the benefits of security, immutability, time-stamped, the copy being duplicated, piracy, copyright and rights management, proof of original work, authorship, and so forth.
10. A student’s entire academic background, history, skills, paper-work, activities such as exam papers, projects, and study material would be on one single platform with the help of blockchain technology.
Blockchain technology will be able to resolve the time-consuming and extensive work leading to record-keeping, issuing credentials, efficient work, no compromises, and benefits for the students as well as for the institution. The use of blockchain technology in education can create an efficient and safer environment.